Though this recipe requires heavy cream but it I am sure these lovely pieces of grilled chicken are not at all high in calories.. Or at least I like to think that :D
For all TRC readers who do not belong to Pakistan, let me introduce you to this amazingly flavorful variation of grilled chicken that my family and I have enjoyed for years. Whenever we dine out in a BBQ restaurant, the first thing we order is always this Malai Boti. Malai, which means cream and Boti which means meat, is a very common delicacy here in Pakistan. Usually served with Naan, Raita (flavored yogurt) and salad, this dish is an absolute crowd pleaser. Usually bar-b-qued, these soft chicken pieces have a silky texture and a pleasant charcoal aroma.
|Malai Boti and Chicken Tikka being prepared on a charcoal grill in a traditional manner.|
|A chef at Creek Club, Karachi, preparing a range of Bar-be Que items|
The ingredients required are simple and it doesn't even need a lot of prep work. Just throw in all the ingredients together, marinate for an hour and grill. Simple!
You will need:
Deep fry julienne onions until brown and place over a kitchen napkin to absorb excess oil. Let stand for 15 minutes. In a blender, blend fried onions with all liquid ingredients to form a paste.
Place chicken in a large bowl, add the onion paste and rest of the ingredients.
Marinate chicken in this mixture for about an hour. Tastes best when marinated overnight. Skew chicken pieces on skewer and grill until cooked. You can also use a bbq grill for this step.
Serve with hot naans.
Chicken Malai Boti
- Chicken (1 kg) cut in cubes
- Yogurt (1/2cup)
- Heavy cream (1/2 cup)
- Milk (1/2 cup)
- Vinegar (2 tbsp)
- Ginger (chopped 2 tbsp)
- Green Chilies (chopped 3 tbsp)
- Fried onions (1/2 cup)
- Butter (1 tbsp)
- Black pepper (1 tbsp)
- Salt (to taste)
- Deep fry julienne onions on a medium flame until brown, drain excess oil and let them cool for 15 to 20 minutes.
- In a blender, pour all liquid ingredients with fried onions and blend thoroughly until a paste is formed.
- Place chicken in a large bowl, add onion paste and rest of the ingredients.
- Mix well and refrigerate chicken for at least an hour or overnight.
- Skew chicken pieces on skewer and grill.
- Serve hot.