Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Crown Bread



When I started making this bread, I had in mind a monkey bread, but midway I got confused. I thought the dough I had wasn't enough to make a good looking monkey bread so I turned it into a crown, only to realize later that I had enough dough and I could have made a monkey bread as planned. Sigh! 

Monkey bread is quiet similar to this one only the shape is a bit different but that's a story for another day. For the time being let's concentrate on our crown.

This is a great dough recipe and makes excellent soft and fluffy bread. You can shape it any way you like to. Just don't forget to drizzle a lot of garlic butter and you will have a perfect garlic flavor bread which you and your family will love!

I know this because my family liked it so much I have to make it almost every weekend now. 

So, to start with you will need:

Add an egg, butter, oil and milk

Knead the dough for 5-8 minutes until it gets stretchy and smooth. Cover and keep in a warm place for 2 hours or until doubles in size.


Punch down the dough, roll it lengthwise and cut 14 equal parts. Make a ball out of each part.


Grease your baking pan with garlic butter and arrange all balls in layers on top of each other.
Allow them a second rise. Drizzle more garlic butter.

Bake in preheated oven at 190 C for 45 minutes or until the bread takes a golden color.




Dough
Ingredients
  1. All purpose flour (4 cups)
  2. Yeast (2 tsp)
  3. Salt (2 tsp)
  4. Sugar (1 tsp)
  5. Baking powder (1 tbsp)
  6. Powdered milk (2 tbsp)
  7. Egg (1)
  8. Butter (melted 1 tbsp)
  9. Oil (4 tbsp)
  10. Milk (warm 1/4 cup)
  11. Dried oregano (1/2 tsp)
Method
  • Sieve flour and mix together all dry ingredients.
  • Add egg, butter, oil and milk.
  • Knead for 5-8 minutes until the dough gets stretchy and smooth 
  • Keep covered in a greased bowl at a warm place and let it ferment for 2 hours.
  • When the dough rises to twice its size, punch it down and divide it in 14 equal balls.
  • Grease your baking pan with garlic butter and place balls in layers over each other as shown in pictures above.
  • Allow bread a second rise.
  • Drizzle more garlic butter and bake in preheated oven at 190 C for 45 minutes or until the bread takes a golden color.
Note: Garlic butter is made by mixing garlic paste and dried oregano with molten butter.

5 comments:

  1. My family and I love garlic flavored bread and yours has come out so fluffly, soft and tempting. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This bread looks delicious! My kids would go crazy for the pull apart crown. Hope you have a wonderful holiday week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this looks amazing!! I'm sort of terrified to deal with dough...but one day I totally wish to make this one. It sounds super delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for your comments....garlic flavoured bread looks awesome.. delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The garlic butter sounds delicious! I'd love to try making a bread like this.

    ReplyDelete

More good eats

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...