When I went to Thailand four years ago, the first meal we had there was a breakfast in the hotel where we were staying. It had an extensive menu and included lots of savory and sweet dishes. Being a lover of savory meals, I first attacked on the spring rolls and nuggets that were served for the breakfast. That's when I noticed a sauce placed right beside the spring roll dish. Just out curiosity I poured 1 spoon of that sauce in my plate and when I tasted it, I was hooked instantly. I took me no longer than 1 minute to ask the waiter what it was and the rest of my stay in Thailand was accompanied by food slathered in Thai Sweet Chilli Sauce!
This sauce has a distinct sweetish, chilly and garlicky flavor. I bought two large bottles of the magical sauce on my way back but after they finished, I couldn't find them anywhere in my city. As time passed I nearly forgot about my favorite sauce until I came across this recipe on Lauren's blog. The very next day I went to the grocery store to start my search again and this time I was lucky enough to find it and I now use this dipping sauce in and with EVERY thing.
Yes, it's that good! Take my word for it.
I suggest you go look for it ASAP in a convenience store near you or in an Asian store if you have a hard time finding it because once you make these chicken bites and dip 'em in this sauce and taste it, you won't be able to stop. I am sure.
(Recipe adopted from Lauren's Latest)
- Boneless/Skinless Chicken (cut into cubes - 1/2 kg)
- All purpose flour (1/2 cup)
- Garlic powder (1/2 tsp)
- Egg (1)
- Milk (4 tbsp)
- Salt (1/2 tsp + 1/2 tsp)
- Black pepper (1/2 tsp)
- Ground red chillies (1/2 tsp)
- Oil for frying
- 1/3 cup sweet chili sauce
- Marinate chicken with 1/2 tsp salt and black pepper for about 15 - 20 minutes.
- In a frying pan, heat oil on medium flame.
- In a shallow bowl whisk together all ingredients except all purpose flour. When every thing gets evenly incorporated, add flour and using light movements mix it in the wet mixture to form a batter
- Dip chicken pieces in the batter one at a time and place into hot oil. Fry until golden brown.
- Remove from oil and drain.
- Transfer chicken bites in a shallow dish and toss with Thai Sweet Chilli Sauce.
- Serve immediately.