Mini Quiches are the best savory finger food which are easy to prepare and serve without much mess. Having loads of chicken and cheese, quiche can be an instant hit in any family or gathering. If you are on a calorie control diet, you can easily substitute some of the ingredients without affecting the taste. They are also good for kids' lunch boxes and can be frozen if prepared ahead of time. If you have access to ready made pie crust, congrats! half your job is already done. But wait, let me tell you that ready made pie crust cannot beat the goodness and flavor of fresh home made crust.
But then it all depends upon the time and energy one has! I, however prefer to make pie dough at home. It's very simple and does not require much time and effort. All you need is flour, salt, egg yolks, butter and water. Save egg whites for later use. Mix together all dry ingredients, add butter and mix until the flour forms crumbs. Add egg yolks and water and knead for 5 minutes until it turns into a smooth dough. Cover and refrigerate the dough for half an hour or until you are ready to use it.
Flour a flat surface and roll out the dough about a quarter cm thick. Use a glass or cookie cutters to cut round shapes on the rolled dough. Grease muffin tray and line each section with the cut out dough. Make holes with a fork to release air bubbles that may form while lining the dough.
Fill empty crusts with BBQ flavored chicken chunks or tikka pieces, chopped spinach and onion.
Make a mixture of saved egg whites plus 1 whole egg, cream, mustard paste, salt and black pepper. If you want to cut down calories, replace cream with milk and use 3 egg whites instead of 1 whole egg. Pour this mixture on top of chicken and spinach.
Top with cheese and sprinkle dried oregano.
Pop them in the oven for about 15-20 minutes until the crust starts taking a brownish color and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- All purpose flour (1 1/4 cup)
- Butter (1/2 cup) - should be cold
- Egg yolks (2)
- Salt (1/2 tsp)
- Cold milk (for kneading)
- Mix together flour and salt
- Add butter and mix until crumbs are formed.
- Add egg yolks and milk.
- Knead for 5 minutes.
- Refrigerate in a bowl covered for 15 minutes.
Note: Add little milk each time. The dough should not be very liquidy nor it should be too hard.
- BBQ flavored chicken chunks or tikka chunks
- Onion - sliced (1 medium)
- Chopped spinach (1/2 cup)
- Egg whites (2)
- Whole egg (1)
- Cream (1/2 cup)
- Mustard paste (2 tbsp)
- Salt and black pepper (for seasoning)
- Cheddar cheese - shredded (1/2 cup)
- Dried oregano (1/2 tsp)
- Preheat oven to 250 C
- Fill pie crusts with chicken chunks, chopped spinach and onion slices
- In a bowl mix together cream mustard paste, egg whites, whole egg and seasoning.
- Pour this mixture in crusts with chicken, onion and spinach.
- Top with cheddar cheese and sprinkle dried oregano.
- Bake at 200 C for 10-15 minutes or until the crust becomes golden and a knife inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Serve hot.